Monday, 7 October 2013

When they are out of Sight... The Innocent Children



One sunny afternoon, during the closing hours of primary schools, I sat somewhere in a house, looking through the window when I suddenly heard some noise on the street; when I looked, there were some (junior) primary school pupils, quarreling, on their way back from school. (four of them and all girls) I observed that the three older girls were all against the youngest among them –I suppose she’s about age 5 while others should be 2 or 3 years older. At a point, she was left behind, alone and afraid while the other girls were busy issuing insults threats and all at her. They even threatened to stage a fight for her, involving one of their best fighters! “She will beat you very well; you will see!”, I heard one of them said boastfully. Then suddenly, one of the older girls turned, got close to the little girl and began to make some pronouncements I would rather call CURSES –
“You will never enjoy your life. (What?!) You will lose all your children. When you grow old, you have a child –the child will die. If your husband impregnates you and you give birth again, the child will die. If you have another one, the child will die. All of them will die!” When she turned to go, the little girl only stood there, head bowed for a while before she moved on.
O my God! I felt this strange cold ran down my body, where I was seated –I think I was shocked at what I heard. And to think of who said those devilish words… Who taught her to say such things? I felt so sorry for the poor little girl.
Does she understand? Who is going to report the incident to her parents? Think about your little children, your little sister/brother, do you know what they encounter whenever they are out of your sight? You may never know it all. I only pray that God will help the children and give insight to parents. Isn’t it even worse when such pronouncements come from parents to their own children? It’s a world of bewildering shockers!

No comments:

Post a Comment